Author Topic: Coversion of Motorola MicroTac 650 to Scanner  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Woodcarver

Coversion of Motorola MicroTac 650 to Scanner
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
I have been told that you can convert the above mentioned to a poh-leece type scanner. It recently turned up during a move. I forgotten all about it, its recharged and ready to convert.

Has anyone ever heard of this procedure, any info would be helpful.

Been running the Uniden Bearcat 890XLT for the past several years, runs from 0-1300mhz. Awesome unit.

Thanks...Woody

Offline Dick

• Contributing Member
  • Scanner Pro
Re: Coversion of Motorola MicroTac 650 to Scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
I believe that analog cellphones were made to operate in the 869-894 MHz range.  While you might be able to get them to receive in the somewhat lower frequencies used for trunked public service communications, it seems pretty unlikely that you'd be able to get them to follow those trunked systems.  Getting them to scan as we expect from a dedicated scanner seems even less likely since they were designed to move from frequency to frequency in response to computer instructions rather than to move through a series of frequencies looking for one that is active to listen to.  If anything, I would think that they'd be looking for one that wasn't active.

In any event, let us know if you have any success.  I've been wrong before and perrhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic about this.

Since they transmit as well as receive, you might want to exercise some care that you don't accidentally end up interfering with legitimate communications.

Dick

Offline Assaf

• Sysop
  • Posts a lot
    • scannow.org
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:08 PM »
You can short a couple pins on the input to put it in test mode, then you enter in a command that lets you select your tuning frequency manually, followed by another command to unmute the audio. If you search for it you can find old hacking text files with the detailed, step-by-step instructions needed. But its a lot of work for what you can already do with your scanner.

Offline Woodcarver

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:57 AM »
Thanks for the comments, thought it may be a long shot. If nothing else I have a conversation peice for my desk, far to light for a boat anchor.
Thanks again...