Author Topic: USB COM port issue for BCD 996 download  (Read 301 times)

Offline WB9FUB

USB COM port issue for BCD 996 download
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »
I input data on to the sheet for my scanner. When I tried to upload it to the scanner the FreeSCAN indicated its the wrong Com port. It indicated COM1. There are no choices on the pull down (its blank) :o. I reloaded the program with no effect. Powered computer down and back up with no change. I'm using the supplied cable to front panel USB port. Computer is a H/P with WIN 7. I am not real computer savvy so this could be part of the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline VK3RX

Re: USB COM port issue for BCD 996 download
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:01:09 AM »
I don't have a 996 but have used Freescan with a 396XT & 325P2, but here goes.

With your scanner powered on and connected to your PC, go to your PCs Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Device Manager.

Have a look at Check Ports (COM & LPT) and see if the Uniden USB device is listed and if it is, that it does not have a yellow warning icon. If the driver isn't listed at all or if it is and has the warning icon, you may need to download and install the Uniden driver.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD996P2/uniden_usbser.zip

Then run Freescan again, and go through setting up the com port info again and test, auto scan and Queue System List etc. to read your scanner's current profile, download and save to your PC. Edit that, and write back to the scanner.

Offline WB9FUB

Re: USB COM port issue for BCD 996 download
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Tom

PS I was VK6US many years ago.